Wednesday, September 14, 2011

crazy momma

Have you ever been through a period in your life where you just feel crazy? That was me a couple weeks back. Reading back through this blog, I'm kinda laughing at myself. I was a little unstable. Things have definitely gotten better. I'm sure plenty of you thought "what in the world is wrong with her?" I did. I could not figure out what was wrong with me. But that's just life. Sometimes things are great & other times, things seem terrible. Well, I've decided to refocus my energy. I remember a talk at a baptism once. The lady speaking said to think about how the world would be if women would pray twice a day and read their scriptures at least five minutes each day. I think I'm going to try it out. I could really use a spiritual boost each day, especially in the morning. As I sit here writing this, I can't help but think about how grateful I am for my kids and my husband. They are honestly the best family. I couldn't ask for anything better. They love me despite my faults. And I love them with all my heart. 

So, I'm going to set some goals and focus on the positive. I need to get the negative out of my life, including people. For example... I have a free subscription to US Weekly. Each time it comes, I sit down and look through it. Each time, I feel terrible about myself. You read my hair post, right? Well, that is where a lot of it stemmed from. The girls (not all but most) in that magazine are all stick skinny & are always shimmering. They have perfect clothes. They have perfect hair where they want it and no hair where they don't. It's a trend that has fallen on us "everyday people" and it makes me feel bad about the way that I am. So, that magazine will be going away. There is nothing positive in it for me. I don't even know who half the people in it are anyway. I'm going to stick to my Family fun magazine. I want to be around positive people too. I have really great friends here that always help me. I want to help them. 

I think if I do these few things, it is a start on a better positive attitude. I want to be happy for my family and for myself.





3 comments:

  1. I remember your post about having "Nancy time" and that being the reason you sometimes stay up late. Totally get it. Here it is, 11:30pm and the kids are tucked in bed and I'm ALONE! LOL... so this is why I blog late and reply to blog posts late (and often Facebook late).

    I just wanted to chime in about getting rid of negative people. Been there, done that. And guess what? It REALLY does help make life more positive. When I was in the youth program, we had a leader who once said, "There is plenty of evil in the world. Please do not seek it out. More than enough will find you on its own." I've always loved that. When I was in my mid 20's, I actually severed ties with an aunt of mine who was causing a LOT of chaos, discord and divide within my family. I actually asked her to pack her bags and leave our home... and she did. Sadly, we've never spoken another word to each other and that was back in 1996. At first it really bugged me. But then I realized that I felt liberated by eliminating that bad influence. My mother still talks about her sometimes and each time she does, I realize my decision was correct.

    I did the same thing once with a friend who had been a friend since we were teenagers. I decided I just didn't need the poison anymore. And I realized that it's okay. Sometimes, people come into our lives to fulfill a specific purpose and once that purpose is fulfilled, it's okay to move on. We don't have to be connected forever.

    And more recently (as in about two weeks ago), I deleted about 100 friends from my Facebook contact list. I decided that I needed to pare down and focus on the people who really meant something to me. It was LIBERATING to delete them all!

    One more thing... about the Us magazine. It made me think of something... I once had several magazine subscriptions. And one day I realized that I got SO excited when they came. I'd sit down and thumb through them and read the articles. Then I realized that when my Ensign came, I'd usually toss it in the corner, promising to get to it "later"... and "later" never usually came. I started to think that if I spent as much time on my Ensign as I did on the other magazines, how much better would I be as a person? After, there is at LEAST a First Presidency message in each one and these men are truly set apart and inspired. So... I set a new goal at that time to not allow myself to read the other magazines until I had read some of the Ensign first, at least the First Presidency message. I haven't subscribed to a hard copy of the Ensign in a few years (I read it online) so I haven't followed that rule. Maybe I should... it would at least remind me to look at it.

    Do you get hard copy? Maybe you can send me an email when you get yours in the mail so it will remind me to read mine! LOL... or maybe I should just put it on my calendar each month to remind me.

    Nancy... you really do inspire me. I think you are awesome... and not the least bit crazy! I love ya girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Christina. Some people (in my own family even) make me feel like I'm crazy. They criticized me for writing this blog. They couldn't believe I would put myself out there like this. It made me feel bad & crazy. I wanted to throw up. But I have to get over it & focus on the positive. You always help me do that. Thank you for reading this and not making me feel like a total moron.

    I get the Ensign. But like you, it always gets tossed in the corner until a more convenient time to read. That time never seems to show up. It will now be the first magazine that I look at. Thanks for bringing it up. I needed to be reminded of it.

    I appreciate you and your wisdom. Thanks for loving me and not judging me. I love ya back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved both of your comments...hope it's ok, i read them! :) i couldn't agree more with what you guys both said! you are great examples and i am glad to have you guys in my life! sorry, feel like i totally hijacked these comments...i'm emotional right now...

    ReplyDelete