I am not a true American. Know why? I don't have an iphone, android, HTC, or whatever all of the cool phones are called. Almost every American I know has one, except for me. I have a trac phone that I can talk & text on but not take or receive pictures. I have no cool apps or a gps to guide my way. It is a phone that is good for emergencies. And the best part about this phone, a good friend actually gave it to me because she was so tired of me not having cellular service. Thanks friend. This phone has saved me on some occasions (when I remember to bring it with me).
![]() |
| this is my phone |
Some days I really want to be up to date & have a really cool phone that I can take great pictures with and post them right away to Facebook. I would like to play Angry Birds. I would like to look up the nearest McDonald's when I am in an undiscovered city. I want to be cool like everyone else. I want to be up to date!
But I hesitate to get one of these glorious technologically advanced machines. The price of these dear phones is not the problem. The addictions to these machines is the problem. I do not want to be addicted. I don't want to make sure that my phone has it's own seat when I go out to dinner. I don't want to pause in a conversation so that I can check to see who just texted me or updated their Facebook status. I don't want to make the person I am with 2nd best.
I read this the other day, multitasking. I was grateful for this post. It made me think of what's really important. I want to be present in the life that surrounds me. I don't want to be lost in a phone.
Sooo, what to do? I have been having this phone dilemma for a while. Rich & I actually went a few months ago to get phones, or me a phone rather, and I backed out. I was in the store ready to purchase it. I had it in my hand. But I said no.
I have decided that if I get one, I will have to make some rules for myself. The ones I can think of so far...
1. It will not go to church with me. Yes, I know it has the scriptures on it & that will be great for when I am sitting at the doctor's office, but it also has internet & games. That will be a distraction for me. I will bring my hard copy of the scriptures to church.
2. It will not have a place at the dinner table.
3. I will not pull it out in the middle of a conversation that I am having with someone unless it is relevant to the conversation. Seriously, how often is that phone call an emergency?
I know that it is pretty much inevitable that I will have to come out of the dark ages and join the rest of society. I think that I am ready. A lot of days I wish that I already had... but not enough to take the jump.
![]() |
| source |
Soooo, is the iphone really that cool? I'm totally missing out! :)
Today I love books. Hard copy books. I'm sad that it seems to me that they will one day be extinct. But like phones, I will have to get something like a kindle just so that I can read a book.


Yep, it's THAT cool. But if you have a propensity toward addictive behaviors, you are wise to set ground rules for yourself. I actually rarely play games on my phone. I do everything else though. And honestly, it has made my life easier and for that I am grateful. Someday, when we are alone, i'll tell you about the dark side of it all. But I don't want to post it here. That said, I wouldn't trade mine for anything. It's one of those things I'm willing to pay for.
ReplyDeleteI love mine!! Especially for copying and pasting recipes into notes FAB!!! but true it can be addicting and ground rules are good. I've actually been trying to be bettter about it not being on my hip 24/7
ReplyDelete